Legal Officer (JB1235)
The Legal Officer supports and reports to the Group Legal Advisor and Company Secretary. S/he will be tasked with managing the organizations casework and legal matters. The Legal Officer is expected to contribute effectively to the achievement of organizational goals and objectives by providing and overseeing the Company’s function of case review and legal matters. The Legal Officer will also be expected to contribute significantly to broader organizational objectives based on their involvement and responsibilities for policy/procedural review, continuous improvement, research & development and stakeholder focus. The Legal Officer should have a strong commercial, corporate, contracts and legal litigation background. Should be able to with unsupervised and ensure a failsafe system of follow ups on matters, diary maintenance and reminders to the Group Legal Advisor on issues that effect the legal department and the Company as a whole. Strong administrative and managerial skills are required. Attention to deadlines and timelines timeously is ESSENTIAL. Must be able to produce monthly status reports on every matter within their portfolio. This is a key performance indicator.
At an operational level the key purpose and function of this role is to:
- Develop and manage the Company’s legal assistance and casework;
- Undertake legal research in relation to allocated projects;
- Undertake any other duties in support of the Head of Legal, as required.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Litigation in High Court and Magitrate’s Court. A strong skillset is required.
- Ensuring the development of systems and processes to ensure effective handling of the legal casework and other legal matters
- Ensure the appropriate procedures, controls and structures are in place for the effective, efficient management of casework and monitor their outputs and outcomes.
- Project work – undertake and manage legal research and produce recommendations to the Company for legislative change.
- Drafting of pleadings
- Assisting with and attending Court/Labour Court/CCMA hearings
- Liaising with Counsel
- Negotiating best deals/settlements
- Demonstrate a high level of personal integrity and maintain professional standards throughout the Legal Division.
- Provide effective, timely advice and information to the Head of Legal and Company
- Undertake any other duties on behalf of the Company as assigned by the Head of Legal.
- Assist where necessary with governance, Compliance, Risk and Company Secretarial Assistance
- Attending to correspondences, emails
- Drafting agreements, internal leases, contracts
- Diary management of case and legal matters
- Attending to keeping the attorney / office updated with the court dates
- Attending to the request of correspondent attorneys/advocates monthly fees;
- Keeping a record of all lease agreements
- Typing up of own documents and pleadings
- Fastidious about meeting deadlines and following up on current files.
- Able to work independently without supervision but knows when to seek supervision or guidance.
- Able to assist with expansion programme into Africa and internationally –research and compiling reports.
- Must be up to date on all current matters and also able to provide a review at short notice.
· LLB Degree or equivalent
· Admitted as an attorney
· Minimum of 3 - 5 years post-admission experience in a legal environment.
· Experience in company secretarial duties and regulatory compliance an advantage
· Litigation experience essential. Must be able to draft pleadings, notices, documents without supervision.
o Commercial Litigation experience is essential.
Experience in Property highly advantageous